A Delicious Recipe On How To Cook Rice And Beans
A lot of people like beans for its nutritional value if not for anything else, but will not eat beans alone unless with another staple like rice. This is just a matter of choice for some people, while others do it to avoid the flatulence or indigestion they get from eating beans as a stand-alone food. Find out how to cook rice and beans.
How to cook rice and beans
Rice combines very well with beans in a delicious way, plus it is one of the healthiest dishes you can eat. Beans, doubling as protein and vegetables, is also rich in antioxidants that protect against the kind of cell damage that may lead to heart disease, cancer and other chronic diseases. The combination of rice and beans provides the body with a lot of fibre. One cup of white rice and beans has ten grams of fibre, the chunk of which is provided by the beans. Below is how to combine rice and beans delightfully:
- 2 cigar cups (500g) long-grain parboiled rice
- 1 cigar cup (250g) brown/black-eyed beans
- 500 ml Tomato Stew
- Chicken or Fish
- Pepper and salt (to taste)
- 2 medium onions
- 2 stock cubes
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Wash and soak the beans for about five hours, then throw the water and thoroughly rinse the beans. After this, pour the beans and some water in a pot and set to boil.
- Turn off the heat when the beans start to boil, throw away the water and wash again. The reason for doing this is to reduce the chances of indigestion associated with beans.
- This is the time to prepare your tomato stew and then parboil your rice.
- Using chopped onions, thyme and stock cubes, cook your chicken or fish until it’s tender and then fry or grill and set aside.
- Cook the beans till tender and set aside.
- Find a pot big enough to accommodate your rice and beans, taking into account that your rise will rise some more.
- Pour your stock into the pot, add your tomato stew, then parboiled rice and the cooked beans. Make sure that the water level is lower than the rice and beans level.
- Add pepper and salt to taste.
- Stir and cover the pot, then cook at medium heat till the water is dry.
Serve with fried plantains, fried chicken or fish.
Source: All Nigerian Recipe
Images from Pixabay, Unsplash and CC