Child Flu Remedies: Turmeric Milk
The flu is an infection of the respiratory tract. It's caused by a virus that spreads easily from person to person. Child flu simply refers to the flu virus in children. When children have the flu, they usually feel worse than they do with a cold. Most times, they begin to feel sick about 2 days after they come in contact with the flu virus. They might have: fever, headache, dizziness, loss of appetite, cough, sore throat, runny nose, and weakness. Babies with the flu also may suddenly seem fussy, sneeze a lot, have runny noses, or just "not look right."
The flu can turn into a serious illness like pneumonia. That can be dangerous for babies and kids or adults with health problems. If you think your child has the flu, see a doctor, nurse, or other medical expert right away.
Home Treatment For Child Flu
Child flu treatment can be handled at home, by giving your child lots to drink and ensuring that she gets enough sleep and rest. Also ensure that your child takes acetaminophen or ibuprofen to relieve fever and aches. Don't give kids or teens aspirin because of its link to Reye syndrome.
Children with the flu should stay home from school and daycare until they feel better. They should only go back when they have been fever-free for at least 24 hours without using a fever-reducing medicine. Some kids need to stay home longer. Ask the doctor what's best for your child.
Some foods also help children fight the flu, speed up recovery, and keep their immunity up. They are: yogurt, sweet potatoes, beef and pork, and chicken soup.
We've also included a drink recipe that can help your child beat the flu.
Turmeric milk is a well known remedy for colds, coughs and sore throats. The drink is made from turmeric, a spice that's used as a herbal medicine to cure many health problems. The turmeric and milk combination works great for cold and cough as both are rich in anti oxidants.
- This turmeric milk can be given to toddlers after one year.
- When you introduce turmeric milk to your kid for the first time, start with a small amount.
- Always use organic pure turmeric powder to prepare turmeric milk.
- You can offer this turmeric milk once in two weeks or whenever your child has symptoms of cold.
- This turmeric milk is great for rainy and harmattan seasons. But a small amount of turmeric milk can be taken any time the child has symptoms of cold.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 5 minutes Total Time: 20 minutes
- Milk - 1.5 cups
- Turmeric powder - ⅛ tsp
- Black pepper - ¼ tsp
- Palm sugar - 2 tbsp
- Keep all ingredients ready. Take milk in a saucepan and add turmeric powder, palm sugar and pepper powder to it. Mix well.
- Heat the milk in low medium flame until frothy.
- Transfer to serving glasses using a sieve.
Preventing Child Flu
There's no guaranteed way to avoid the flu. But these steps can make spreading the flu less likely:
- Teach your children to wash their hands often and with soap.
- They must never pick up used tissues.
- Teach them not to share their cups and cutlery.
- Keep the kids at home if they have the flu.
- If you don't have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper arm, not your hands.
How do you help your children tackle the flu at home? Share with us in the comments.