How to prepare Yamarita
The name yamarita might sound like an exotic meal from the Caribbean, but it is actually made with yam. Yes, the yam everyone else knows. If you go to most fast food places, you’ll see yamarita on the menu or in the display glass case. You may have wondered how that golden brown goodness would really taste. Now you can make it at home by reading out step-by-step guide on how to prepare yamarita.
What is yamarita?
Most Nigerians would describe yamarita as fried yam that got a master’s degree from Harvard University and went to Yale for a doctorate degree. This simply means that you can take the local yam and turn it into something amazingly yummy and appetizing.
You can learn how to prepare yamarita just so you can add it to your breakfast menu. To serve yamarita for dinner, you can pair it with a spicy dip.
Do you have a fancy party coming up soon and need to impress your guests? Then cut up some yam slices, get the ingredients below, and print out our tips on how to prepare yamarita. Your fancy-looking, delicious-tasting food will become the life of the party!
Ingredients for preparing yamarita
Yam, sliced into slim rectangles
Salt to taste
How to prepare yamarita
Step 1 – preparing the yam
· Peel the yam
· Wash to remove soil and dirt
· Slice it into thin rectangular slices; You can make as many slices as you want
· Boil the yam slices for 7 minutes on medium until you can drive a fork clean through it. Watch the yam carefully so it doesn’t get too soft, as this might cause it to come apart when you fry it in the oil.
· Drain the yam from the hot water as soon as you bring it down from the fire
Step 2 – preparing the flour
Now that your yam is done cooking, you’ll have to get the flour ready to coat the slices.
In a bowl, mix flour, Cameroun pepper, one seasoning cube, and salt. Break the egg into the mixture and stir.
Step 3 – frying the yam slices
· Pour vegetable oil into a saucepan and heat until it is very hot; The oil should be enough for deep frying
· Roll the yam slices one after the other in the flour mixture
· To test the heat of the oil, drop a slice of yam into the hot oil and fry each side for a minute until it is golden brown
· Take the fried yam out of the oil immediately and set on a serviette to drain
· Fry the rest of the slices until golden brown and drain, careful not to burn them
Serving the yamarita
Most people serve yamarita with special dips or stews. To make a delicious dip, you will need:
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 scotch bell pepper, blended
1 seasoning cube
Salt to taste
How to prepare yamarita dip
Fry the olive oil on low heat for 2 minutes
Add onions and garlic and stir until fragrant and translucent
Add tomatoes and seasoning cube and fry for additional 3 minutes
Add salt to taste and bring down from heat.
Learning how to prepare yamarita is super-easy. Additionally, we have included a recipe for a special dip!
Resources: Nutrition and You
Also Read: Homemade peanut butter recipe for the kids