How to test pregnancy with sugar in 3 simple steps.
This simple pregnancy test can be done at home.
Pregnancy tests with sugar is the trend these days. You may have heard about it from friends or read it in passing somewhere, but remain unsure how to do a pregnancy test with sugar.
What has helped this kind of test into vogue is the readily available household materials with which it is carried out. And so can be done in a quick and timely fashion.
Even pregnancy can catch you off guard. The inkling might have been present all along, but you're hoping it stays an inkling. Or grows into a baby. But then here you are, busy with work at home in the morning, nursing most of the usual pregnancy symptoms. And you want to quickly do a pregnancy test with some level of privacy, this method could solve that.
How to do a pregnancy test with sugar
Pregnancy test with sugar is hassle-free. But before we dive in, what is a sugar pregnancy test?
The sugar pregnancy test is a do-it-yourself way of checking for pregnancy, using two readily available ingredients: sugar and urine. The sugar pregnancy test is capable of detecting the presence of a pregnancy hormone known as human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG).
What is human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG)?
The HCG is also known as the growth hormone, and it is only detectable ten days after fertilization. It shows whether you're pregnant or not. Also, HCG informs your body to maintain an elevated progesterone level so that you don't have your period and eject the fetus.
You know those early symptoms of pregnancy? Nausea, tender breasts, and fatigue? The rise in levels of HCG is responsible for them. It also nourishes the baby through breast milk after birth.
Things you need for a pregnancy test with sugar
- White sugar
- A neat, sterilized bowl
- The first urine of the day
Procedures for doing a pregnancy test with sugar
Make sure you do the test with your first urine of the day. This plays a significant role in the test. This is because you first urine of the day contains the highest concentration of HCG hormone.
- Add two or three tablespoons of sugar into your neat, sterilized bowl.
- Urinate your first-morning urine directly on the sugar in the sterilized bowl.
- Wait for at least five minutes before attempting to interpret your results.
How to interpret the result of a pregnancy test with sugar
After urinating into the bowl the sugar may form into a clump. This indicates that HCG hormone is in your urine sample, which means you're pregnant. But if the sugar dissolves, this indicates the absence of HCG. This means you're not pregnant.
Factors that can affect your result?
Procedures are strictly followed for a reason. One misstep can affect your results.
- Make sure you urinate directly into the sterilized bowl. To avoid contamination do not urinate somewhere else before pouring into the bowl.
- Using your second or third urine of the day.
- Taking water excessively to force urine in the morning might temper results. This is because the urine becomes too diluted for the HCG to give an accurate reading.
- The test must be carried out after you're sure you've missed your period. Also not too soon after a missed period. A minimum of 10 days after.
How accurate is a pregnancy test with sugar?
Pregnancy is a life-changing moment for many women. It is understandable that you're eager to know your pregnancy status, but going for a more reliable test is better.
There is no concrete scientific research available that ascertains if a pregnancy test with sugar is accurate and reliable. You can just take this pregnancy test within the meantime, but make sure to visit your doctor when you get the chance.
Read also: How to test pregnancy with salt?