How To Lose Weight With Ketogenic Diet In Nigeria
This article discusses all you should know about the ketogenic diet in Nigeria
Ketogenic diet in Nigeria continues to gain popularity is for its "superpowers". In fact, some people will swear, touching a finger on their tongue and lifting it towards the sky, that there's no health issue ketogenic diet cannot deal with. This article brings you everything you need to know about the ketogenic diet.
Ketogenic diet in Nigeria
The ketogenic diet was first introduced in the 1920s as a treatment for epilepsy. Before this treatment was discovered, people back then would make a hole in the patient's brain, until one patient failed to respond to this treatment. Then they noticed that the patient stopped having seizures when he stayed away from food and water. As a result, in 1940 the ketogenic diet was accepted as a treatment for childhood epilepsy. However, in the 1990s some people became interested in the ketogenic diet as a means of eating fatty foods and still maintaining their six-packs. But today, people use it to lose weight and live a healthier life.
What is a ketogenic diet?
The ketogenic diet is the kind of diet that actively tries to work your body into ketosis. The next question that might come to mind is what is this ketosis and what does it do? But first, ketogenic diets consists of mostly fat, moderate protein, and very low carbs. Now, ketosis is a state in which your body goes from using glucose to ketones, a set of organic compounds with the same structure.
However, to understand how this switch happens, you have to understand how the body uses energy. Every single thing you do requires energy, which your body draws from glucose it gets from foods such as rice, vegetables, fruit, grains, and beans. So, when you're starving or fasting or on low carb foods, your body releases fatty acid drawn from your body fat. This fatty acid is now converted into ketones that your body can use as energy, which is where the ketogenic diet comes in.
Which foods are allowed (or not allowed)?
Now that we have established what a ketogenic diet is and how ketosis works, below are foods that are allowed when on a ketogenic diet.
Foods that are allowed when on the ketogenic diet in Nigeria
- Coconut and coconut oil
- Olive oil
- Palm oil
- Nuts and nut butter
- Egg yolks
Low protein foods
Low carb foods
Foods that are not allowed
- Grains: When you're on a ketogenic diet you shouldn't go near any kind of grains because they are mostly carbs.
- Beans: Beans are mostly carbs too, so you should not eat them on a ketogenic diet.
- Most fruits: You must have heard a lot about how fruits are healthy, but you will have to make do without them when you're on a ketogenic diet. They are carbs, whether in dry form, smoothies, or fruit juice.
- Starchy vegetables: These include most vegetables that grow above the ground such as potatoes, yam and carrot. Only green leafy vegetables are allowed.
- Sugar: Anything sugar is not allowed on a ketogenic diet, including honey, maple syrup, and the rest.
- Dairy: Dairy products may be protein but are still not allowed on the ketogenic diet.
- Processed oil: Oils like groundnut oil, sunflower oil, soy oil are all not allowed on a ketogenic diet even though they are fat.
- Alcohol: When on this diet, you must avoid every alcoholic drink, whether it's beer, wine, or spirits.
- Packaged foods: Packaged foods are full of sugar, so avoid them too.
Types of ketogenic diets
There are different kinds of ketogenic diets, from which you can choose what works for you.
- The Standard Ketogenic Diet: This is the classic keto diet.
- The Targeted Ketogenic Diet: Add carbs around exercise.
- The Cyclical Ketogenic Diet: Go in and out of ketosis in planned intervals.
- The High-Protein Ketogenic Diet: Eat more protein than on the Standard Ketogenic Diet.
Can the ketogenic diet really make you lose weight?
This may be the part you've been waiting for, and the simple answer to that question is a yes. But that's just the simple answer that doesn't take into consideration whether the weight loss is sustainable. When you're on a ketogenic diet, you'll lose weight fast at the beginning because it is low in carbs, for which there are two reasons. The first reason is that you're forced to consume more fat and protein, which causes the release of a hormone that tells your brain that you're full. While the second reason is that when you reduce carb intake, you lose water and glycogen, but when you return to normal diet you regain the water.
As a result, a ketogenic diet will make you lose weight fast at the beginning, but you can't stick with the diet for a long time. The moment you go back to your usual diet, you put the weight you've lost right back on.